Wednesday, January 11, 2017

One Hundred Percent Alive and in the Flesh

Hello All:
Today's new story could be something one might expect from the 1960s TV show, One Step Beyond. You've seen it, I'm sure. It plays out unexplained phenomenon, much of it eerie.
That's what we have for you today.
One Hundred Percent Alive and in the Flesh
Bob drove home from work on a Thursday afternoon in his Dodge Durango with customized plate that read "IAMBOB". It's important to know this information as you will soon find out.
It takes Bob about 30 minutes to drive home from work, most of it highway driving. And on that Thursday, there wasn't anything unusual for his ride home from work. Traffic was fairly light, and there were no incidents along the shoulders of the road. Bob reached the exit ramp to the main road in town where he lived. And like most days, it didn't take long for him to reach the entryway of his subdivision, then to Cherry Street where his house is located. Here he pulled into his driveway. Again, it was a very uneventful and mostly boring ride home for Bob, and I'm sure the reader will agree at this point.
But what was this?
Bob was startled to see his wife, Susan, racing out of the house, sobbing, with arms extended outward. Bob quickly exited his vehicle and demanded, "What happened? Is everything okay?"
"The police said that you had been killed!" cried Bob's wife.
"What???" exclaimed Bob.
"Yes...!" continued Susan. "The State Police phoned just 15 minutes ago and said that you were in a car accident and didn't survive!"
"Oh my gosh; that's horrible!" returned Bob while quickly hugging his wife. "Well you can definitely see that it's not true. I am 100% alive and in the flesh. But it looks like the State Police made a terrible mistake. They were obviously supposed to call another family and notify them that whoever they mistook me for had been killed in the car crash."
By then Bob's children, Michael and Sara, rushed out of the house in excitement:
"Dad your home!"
"It's not true!"
"Yes!” quickly reassured Bob. "It was a terrible mistake that the police made. As you can see I am alive and well. But we need to get to the bottom of this. Once I get in the house I'm going to telephone the police and inform them of their terrible mistake. I feel sorry for the poor family that is going to receive such bad news tonight."
And so Bob, his wife, and kids went back into the house where Bob reached for the telephone located in the family room. He wasn't sure what number to call, so he simply pressed 911. As far as he was concerned, this was an emergency. Important information hadn't been given to the proper family.
"911, what's your emergency?" greeted the dispatcher.
"Yes...” began Bob. "...The police called about 15 minutes ago and informed my wife I had been killed in a car crash. But, obviously, that's not true because here I am talking to you."
"Oh no!” exclaimed the 911 operator. "I apologize for the mix-up. Do you know which police jurisdiction called?"
"It would have been the State Police." answered Bob.
"Okay, let me transfer your call to the State Police investigations department so that you can clarify everything."
"Thank you!"
And so Bob spent the next few minutes on the phone with the State Police investigations department as they attempted to establish which accident Bob had been wrongfully paired with. It was confusing for the police because they had a Bob White of 1422 Cherry Street on their most-recent record. Furthermore, they had just received and impounded a Dodge Durango with customized plate, "IAMBOB".
"But that's impossible!" insisted Bob. I am 100% alive and well, standing here and talking to you. And my Dodge Durango is parked out in the driveway without a scratch.”
"Yes I understand that." acknowledged the onsite investigations officer. But we need to get to the bottom of this. Perhaps you could come in with your wife and confirm that the body we have in the morgue does not belong to you, as well as the vehicle that was involved crash."
"I'd be more than happy to" answered Bob.
***
Twenty minutes later, Bob and his wife, Susan, arrived at the State Police facility in their jurisdiction. It's located right off the highway. They entered the main entrance and approached the front desk. "Hi, I need to speak with someone from the investigations department?" asked Bob.
Well once I buzz you through the main door, immediately turn left and it's your last door on the right."
Bob and Susan were buzzed in where they made an immediate left down the hallway to the investigations department. It was here where Bob was asked for his state driver's license which immediately alarmed the onsite officer. You see, only a few minutes ago he placed the exact, same driver's license in a file which had supposedly been taken from the person who was killed in the car crash. The officer gave Bob a queer look. "Is there a problem" Bob asked.
"Well, I guess just follow me into the back office." answered the officer. "We'll first visit the impounding garage.”
Bob and Susan were led some distance to the garage where they were horrified to see Bob's Dodge Durango with customized license plate that read, "IAMBOB" The vehicle was now a smashed, mangled-up heap of junk.
"Oh my goodness!” exclaimed Susan.
"What the...?" Bob added.
The officer then informed, "Sir, you are going to have to wait out here while your wife accompanies me in the morgue to identify the body. This is just proper procedure."
"Body???" nearly shouted Bob. "But I'm 100% alive and in the flesh."
"I understand that, Sir." answered the onsite officer. "Like I said, I am just following procedure.
Susan followed the officer into the morgue where a covered body lay on what looked to be an autopsy table. "I'm going to warn you...” began the officer.  "...this might be a bit gruesome."
"Okay, I will keep that in mind." answered Susan.
The officer pulled back the sheet from the body's head.
Susan was immediately startled. You see, it was definitely Bob's face with some cuts and bruising."I... I... I just don't understand..." she told the officer. "That is my husband lying on the table, but he's standing out there in the other room."
There was no logical explanation for the strange phenomenon that took place that Thursday afternoon. No, Bob was not a ghost; he was100% alive and in the flesh. But how could his body also be lying in the morgue? And how could his mangled up vehicle now be sitting in the impounding garage while—at the same time—it sat in the parking lot of the State Police facility without a ding or scratch?

The End!

No comments:

Post a Comment